Repost from JR Medina's post at Bukas Palad Board Room
Sunday, 9 March 2014
First Sunday of Lent (Year A)
Liturgical Color: Purple
1R: Genesis 2:7-9; 3:1-7 is about the creation of man and the fall of man.
RP: 51 Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
2R: In Romans 5:12-19, (or 5:12, 17-19), we can read all died because of the fault of one man, but how much more does the grace of God spread when the gift He granted reaches all, from this unique man Jesus Christ.
G: Matthew 4:1-11 is about the Temptation of Jesus in the desert.
The Gospel reading for the First Sunday of Lent will always be about the Temptation. Magkakaiba lang yung pinagmulan. In Year A, Matthew gives his account. In Year B, Mark gives his account, and in Year C, yung kay Luke naman.
B. Short Catechesis
1. The word Lent means spring. It is from the Old English ‘lencten’ which means spring. It used to describe the lengthening of days that marks the coming of spring. Di ba kapag winter, medyo mahaba ang gabi, at maikli ang day. The original period of Lent was 40 hours. People back then spent the time fasting to commemorate the suffering of Jesus Christ, and the “40 hours” He spent in the tomb. In the early 3rd century, Lent was lengthened to 6 days. About 800 AD, it was changed to 40 days.
2. Now it is a 40-day long season of preparation before Easter. Because Jesus Christ rose on a Sunday, Sundays in Lent should therefore not be counted. Lent is a reminder of the 40 days and 40 nights of Jesus’ fasting in the desert. It is a great spiritual retreat lasting 40 days. It is an extraordinary time of repentance and reconciliation. It is an opportune time to turn away from sin, and turn toward the Lord Jesus. It is a call to conversion.
3. Conversion involves a new discovery of God. Conversion is an intimate encounter with God Himself.
4. The key penitential practices of Lent involve increased prayer, increased almsgiving, increased fasting, and increased self-denial.
a. Ang panalangin ang tapat at matiyagang pagsisikap ng ating sarili na makipag-ugnay sa Panginoon.
b. Almsgiving represents a specific way to assist those in need. It is an exercise to free us from attachment to worldly goods. We can apply this concretely through doing the corporal works of mercy: feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, visit the sick, visit the imprisoned, and bury the dead.
c. Fasting detoxifies us from the pollution of sin and evil. We are required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and are encouraged to fast on Fridays of Lent. (In fact, some even eat mongo only on Fridays, even if it’s not Lent.) But the heart of the precept involves fasting from sin and from “luxuries”. Baka pwedeng mag-fasting tayo sa pakikipag-away sa mga taga-ibang choir, o taga-ibang ministry, or tsismisan tungkol sa kanila.
d. Self-denial means giving up things this Lent. Palagi akong may line-up sa mga estudyante ko about things that they can sacrifice during Lent: Internet, social networking sites like FaceBook, Twitter, coffee, alcoholic drinks, television, chocolate, soda, swearing/cussing, smoking, sugar, porn, red meat, fast food, beer, sweets, French fries, Starbucks, cookies, ice cream, shopping, nagging, rumor-mongering, gambling, bacon, lying, teasing fellow classmates, fighting with others, being disrespectful to their parents or teachers, texting, DOTA, Internet gaming, designer clothes and bags, the latest gadgets, etc. I explain to them that sacrifices help each of us to be spiritually mindful that our Lord suffered and died for our sins.
5. Walang Gloria in Excelsis Deo. Holy Thursday na ulit maririnig ang Gloria. Magfafasting tayo from the mirth of the angels when they sang Glory to God in the highest.
6. Walang Alleluia.
7. Walang flowers sa altar.
8. Turn down the volume. Minimize the musical instruments to be used. Musical instruments during Lent should give only the bare minimum, or just the necessary support to the singing. Sustenance lang. Baka nga mas maganda pa ang kalabasan kung mag-a capella tayo. Kailangan maramdaman and ma-realize ng mga taong assembled that this season is very distinct from other liturgical seasons, most especially Easter, and one way of doing that is ibang style ng ating pagiging liturgical music leader.
9. Instrumental solos are bawal kapag Lent. When movement of people ends (such as in the processional songs in entrance, preparation of the gifts, communion), immediately find an ending for the processional song. Halimbawa, sa communion, wala na namang taong nakapila para tumanggap ng communion. Huwag nang kumanta. Find an end. Tumahimik. Give the congregation an opportunity for silent reflection. Yung ibang parishes nga, tinitigil talaga yung kanta, no matter what part they are in, when movement of people ceases. Huwag nang maglagay ng 2nd communion song. People should be made aware to reflect so they won’t chit-chat. Silence is far better during the season of Lent.
10. During service songs, if you can apply these to the tune of pasyon, the congregation will surely notice, and thereby realize that this is a distinct season altogether. For example, if you can sing si Kristo ay namatay into the tune of pasyon...ginawa yan minsan sa parish. Also, you're encouraging enculturation.
C. Song Line up suggestions
1. Alay sa Kapwa (Esteban, Hontiveros)
2. Ang Tawag N’ya (Ofrasio, Hontiveros)
3. Buksan ang Aming Puso (Tinio, Hontiveros)
4. Dinggin Mo (Esteban, Hontiveros). Prioritize Stanza 1.
5. Minamahal Mo ang Lahat (Reginio)
6. Pagbabalik-loob (Ofrasio, Hontiveros)
7. Pagbabalik-loob (Macalinao, Hontiveros)
8. Panginoon ay Dinggin (Bautista)
I repeat: walang Papuri/Luwalhati sa Diyos.
Tanggalin ang Aleluya. Use the Verse Before the Gospel. Consult the thread about Lenten Gospel Acclamation in lieu of alleluia.
1. Papuri sa 'Yo, O Kristo Hesus, Hari ng kaluwalhatiang walang hanggan!
2. Papuri at Parangal sa Iyo, Panginoong Hesukristo!
3. Luwalhati at Papuri sa Iyo, Panginoong Hesukristo!
4. Luwalhati sa Iyo, Salita ng Diyos, Panginoong Hesukristo!
P of the G:
1. Kung ‘Yong Nanaisin (Francisco) Alay-Kapwa (Tinio, Hontiveros)
2. Nang Buo Kong Buhay (Alejo, Hontiveros)
3. Pag-aalay (Pangilinan, Hontiveros)
4. Sumasamba, Sumasamo (Dionisio)
5. Sumasamo Kami Sa ‘Yo (Judan)
Do not sing Dakilang Amen (Francisco).
Kordero: Kordero ng Diyos (Aquino, O Bayan ng Diyos!)
1. Ama, Kaawaan Ako (Isidro, Ramirez)
2. Ang Biyaya ng Diyos (Judan, Hontiveros)
3. Dunong ng Puso (Labendia, Villaroman)
4. Hesus na Aking Kapatid (Hontiveros)
5. Hesus na Hain ng Diyos (Tinio, Hontiveros)
6. Hesus ng Aking Buhay (Aquino)
7. Huwag Mabalisa (Aquino)
8. Likhain Mong Muli (Alejo, Hontiveros, Francisco)
9. Pag-ibig Ko (Cenzon)
10. Pag-ibig, Patawad (Valcos)
11. Pananalig (Borres, Francisco)
12. Sa Piling Mo (Borres, Que)
13. Sa Iyong Mga Yapak (Cerino, Samuel)
14. Saan Kami Tutungo (Macalinao, Hontiveros)
15. Tinapay ng Buhay (Atiena, Borres, Francisco)
1. Ang Tawag ng Panahon (Tinio, Hontiveros)
2. Pagkatao (Hontiveros)
3. Pananagutan (Hontiveros)
4. Pinapawi Mo Ang Tao (Reginoo)
5. Sino’ng Makapaghihiwalay (Anunciata)
6 E1 if not used as entrance song
7. C14 if not used as communion song
8. Intentionally don’t sing a recessional song. Best choice.
1. Bless the Lord, My Soul (Berthier)
2. God of Mercy and Compassion (Vaughn)
3. Hosea (Norbet)
4. Lord, Who Throughout This Forty Days (Hernaman)
5. The Glory of These Forty Days (Bell)
6. Save Us, O Lord (Dufford)
There is no Glory to God in the highest.
Tanggalin ang Alleluia. Use the verse before the Gospel.
1. Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!
2. Praise and honor to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
3. Glory and praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
4. Glory to You, O Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ!
P of the G:
1. I Lift Up My Soul (Manion)
2. Prayer of Rupert Mayer (Francisco)
2. Take Our Bread (Wise) Stanza 2 ang priority. "Your blood"
3. To Be Your Bread (Haas)
4. To You, O Lord (Haugen)
5. We Remember (Haugen) Priority ang Stanza 2. Some people might comment, though, that this is for communion.
1. Be Not Afraid (Dufford)
2. Change Our Hearts (Coney)
3. Deep Within (Haas)
4. Eat This Bread (Berthier)
5. Empty Space (Go & Francisco)
6. Father, Mercy (Dufford)
7. God of Silence (Francisco)
8. Lord Jesus, Son of Righteousness (Consolacion)
9. On Eagle’s Wings (Joncas) Prioritize Stanza 4. Sobrang swak sa G.
10. Only This I Want (Schutte)
11. Turn to Me (Foley)
12. We Remember (Haugen)
13. Without Seeing You (Haas) Stanza 1 only.
1. E6 if not used as entrance song
2. Brother to Brother (Hontiveros)
3. Service (Ceasar)
4. Time to Change (Jacinto)
5. Intentionally don’t sing a recessional song. Best choice.